Ideas for designing and developing small bathrooms strive to create a pleasing yet convenient bathroom in a limited space, preferably a low traffic area of the house. These ideas involve modifying various aspects like lighting, storage solutions, color scheme, etc.
In addition, while decorating a small bathroom, keep in mind that adding too many decorative items will only add clutter and make you feel uncomfortable.
Smart Ideas for Designing and Decorating a Small Bathroom
- Using pale, light and warm shades such as sand, pale yellow, white, soft shades of pink, blue, green, etc. on the walls and ceiling (can have a light-blue color, too) is perhaps one of the most obvious ideas for enhancing the appeal of small bathrooms.
The reason is that it makes the area appear bigger and more spacious by reflecting light. You can use bold colors in accents, though. Thus, paint the door and window trims in contrasting color. In case you find the light colors boring, try faux painting techniquesto add depth and texture.
- Mirrors play an important role in creating an illusion of larger space. You can go for two mirrors facing each other on opposite wallswith wall sconces on each side. Mirrored medicine cabinets are also great. Besides, full height mirrors are considered good for expanding the area visually.
- In terms of lighting, consider getting recession lights, pendant lights, and wall track lighting rather than bulky surface mounted lighting fixtures. If possible, include a window. Skylight is another valuable option.
Here’s a video showing some design ideas for beautifying small bathrooms.
- Use light, soothing colors for lights as well as paints and tiles (mirror tiles, preferably). Those who are fond of wallpapers can apply one with a small pattern and neutral shade in the background.
- More often than not, small bathrooms fail to accommodate full size bathtubs comfortably. Therefore, opting for a standard shower stall is a useful idea that makes the best use of a small bathroom layout.
The shower stall can also have caddies for convenience. Quadrant glass shower enclosures are stylish and contemporary. When choosing a shower curtain, select a clear shower curtain instead of an opaque one to allow sufficient light.
- As small bathrooms offer little space for storage, find creative solutions for storing the essential items in an organized way without creating clutter.
Thus, try to use adjustable glass shelves (above the toilet or in a corner), floor baskets and a tall but narrow cabinet (with organization shelves and drawers) instead of large vanity. Besides, you can add recessed built-in units, and robe hooks on the doors.
- Another effective idea that can be considered while developing a bathroom in constricted space is to get a round rather than elongated toilet. In addition, look for a corner pedestal sink in a fantastic shape and design.
- In case you are interested in vanities, choose a wall-mounted bath vanity with drawers. If there is empty space around the corner, look for a vanity that can fit in the corner.
- Cool ideas for decorating bathrooms with small spaces involve minimal but effective use of decorative elements. For instance, you can display a painting on the wall opposite a mirror.
In addition, attractive bathroom hardware and accessories like decorative curtain hooks, towel rack, cabinet handles, faucet, wastebaskets, soap dispenser, bath rug, coordinating hand towels, and so on, add to the beauty of the room. You may also consider getting a decorative toilet seat cover.