Ideas and tips for lighting in modern bathrooms are meant to make your bathroom adequately bright and ambient. Moreover, proper lighting arrangement in the bathroom can make it more pleasing and attractive by enhancing numerous aspects of the bath décor.
Besides, these lighting ideas are extremely important for a bathroom that does not have a window or skylight. For this, you will have to determine suitable angles and areas where lighting fixtures should be placed.
A home remodeling specialist can help you with a great bathroom lighting design. Decide beforehand, whether you want the room to be cozy or spacious.
Ideas For Having A Proper Lighting Arrangement In Your Bathroom
- Consider connecting bathroom lights with a dimmer switch so that you can adjust the level of lights as per your needs. In addition, they are energy-efficient and increase the longevity of the light bulbs. Dimmer should have sufficient capacity to control the load, though.
- Opting for recessed and overhead lighting is an immensely popular idea for incorporating lights in a bathroom, especially in a bathroom with low ceiling. They can be placed over the tub (focused on the perimeter of the tub), or shower stall that is situated in a corner.
Recessed lights should be fixed into the ceiling and not over the bathroom mirror as the shadows creating by this arrangement is not suitable for grooming purposes.
- Ideas for lincluding lights around a bath vanity with a large mirror emphasize on having a lighting fixture on the surface of the mirror. A vanity which is about 24 inches or longer than that should have at least 150 watts light.
- Focused lights can enhance the wall décor of your bathroom. Combination of bathroom lighting and mirrors can create the illusion of more space in the room.
- Try to mix different types of lighting in the room to avoid extremely bright or dim lighting.
- Lamps and chandeliers provide ambient lighting in a bathroom. Moreover, they look elegant and add to the beauty of the room.
- Halogen bulbs are more attractive and efficient than incandescent bulbs. You can also opt for fluorescent or compact fluorescent bulbs.
Modern and contemporary bathrooms can have LED lights, incorporated in cabinet lights, shower trays, submersive lights (fitted in bath tubs), etc. They can be used as accent lights to backlight a luxurious countertop and sink or highlight the bathroom wall art.
- A bathroom decorated with dark colors and lacking natural light requires more lights than a light-colored bathroom.
- You can use downlights or flush ceiling lights for general illumination in the room.
Here’s a video giving tips on bathroom lighting.
- Having strip lights (preferably white) over the bathroom mirror is another valuable idea when considering about bathroom lighting. These lights illuminate the wall or vanity mirror and help in tasks like brushing the teeth, putting make-up, shaving, etc. by providing sufficient lighting.
- Wall sconces on either side of a mirror (center of the sconces should be at the eye level) make the room appear brighter and help cast light evenly on your face. Beautiful wall sconces have a vintage charm, too. If not interested in sconces, though, you can hang decorative pendants.
- Shower area can have waterproof lighting fixtures. For instance, consider Cooper Lighting 6-Inch Wet Location and AirTite Listed Trim with Frosted Albalite Lens (shown below).
It is a non corrosive and non-conductive polymer trim for Halo’s H7T and H7RT fixtures. You can find this product at Amazon at a price of $14.40 instead of $15.90.
While considering the numerous ideas in terms of bath lights, make sure you consult a certified electrician to avoid trouble later. Plus, keep some simple tips in mind. For example, avoid placing a plug-in pedestal lamp near the tub or even sink.