Ideas for modern bathroom floor design are meant to be functional yet visually appealing. Moreover, tips and suggestions for bathroom floor covering usually involve the use of non-slip flooring for safety, especially in a basement bathroom.
Plus, it is suggested to choose bathroom floor tiles that are impervious to water and easy to clean. While buying floor tiles, make sure you purchase a few more tiles than the actual quantity required because it would be difficult to find tiles of the exact shade afterwards, when you would need them for repairs.
Ideas for Beautifying Bathroom Floor
- It is essential to choose a proper color, texture and material for bathroom flooring in order to set the tone. Ceramic, vinyl and stone are the most common materials used for bathroom floors. Terracotta ceramic tiles, for instance, look great in a rustic or Tuscan bathroom.
Choosing marble is another marvelous idea that can be used for bathroom flooring as it is strong and looks aesthetic. On the downside, the material is porous and prone to stains.
- If you like to have elegant and timeless wood floor in the bathroom then you can go for teak, wenge or Cabreuva. In case basement bathrooms, however, it is better to avoid organic materials. Plus, hardwood is not always the best option for bathroom flooring because it is the dampest room in the house.
Thus, you can try beautiful laminate flooring which is easy to clean, resistant to stains, and gives the appearance of hardwood at a lower price. Keep in mind that laminate floor should be cleaned with damp rather than saturated mop.
- Adding area rugs on the floor, especially near the bath tub is a simple but useful idea for bathroom flooring to avoid slipping. Moreover, you may use friction paint with gritty flecks of sand on the floor. You can try other slip resistant floor care products and anti-slip floor coatings as well.
- Needless to say, avoid using carpets in a bathroom because they will grow mildew due to the presence of immense moisture in the room.
- When looking for expensive floor tiles, you can select attractive terrazzo tiles for a unique bath floor design. These beautiful tiles include granite, marble, onyx and glass chips.
The material is elegant and durable but, it tends to be hard under foot. Moreover, natural stone tiles help create a luxurious bathroom. On the flip side, they need to be retextured from time to time.
- Installing 1 x 1-foot plain floor tiles is one of the most popular ideas for designing the floor of a small bathroom. However, if you are opting for patterned tiles then you can use smaller tiles so that the pattern repeats more to create an impact. Light colored ceramic, quarry or cork floor tiles help create the illusion of more space. Avoid cork tiles in a basement bathroom, though.
- In case you are interested in affordable ideas, consider using natural stone or porcelain tiles for bathroom floors. They are stylish, durable, resistant to stains, and easy to maintain.
- When considering stone bathroom tiles, you can go for slate tiles since they have a rough texture and hence, prevent slipping.
- Classic white tiles can seem troublesome in terms of maintenance because they appear dirty too soon. Thus, those of you who do not have the time or inclination to clean the floor frequently can choose patterned or mottled floor tiles.
- Tiny and translucent glass floor tiles with cloudy texture also enhance the beauty of a bathroom. However, they are expensive and tend to be slippery when wet, just like high gloss ceramic tiles. Glass and mosaic tiles may be used as an accent around the perimeter of the room.
- You can try recycled rubber flooring in a modern bathroom. It is easy to install, resilient, environment-friendly, comfortable, slip-resistant, and sound absorbent.
- Opting for ceramic tiles or vinyl flooring (vinyl sheet, in particular) is one of the best ideas for those who are planning to build a bathroom on a budget. This is the most practical solution because they are durable, water resistant, less expensive and easy to maintain.